Saturday, August 7, 2010

Scrapbooking. Yes.

Two words. Hobby hunting. Do you ever do any of that? I found blogging unintentionally; reading was forced on me; and writing started out as an English project, but I've found them all very enjoyable...But do you ever just sit down and think, "I want a new hobby, something better or interesting to do that will take up my time in a healthy and productive way," because I do. I need something better to do than Facebook-ing and watching YouTube videos all day. I mean, literally, all I do is lie on my bed and stare at the screen the entire time.

(Also, as I type, I'm typing in a British accent. Please keep that in mind while you read this. Thank you!)

A while back, I had a proper obsession for Charlie McDonnell. Why? Well, as his YouTube name suggests, he's cool; I mean actually cool and not just cool-like. He's a YouTube vlogger, comedian, director, and musician. ♥ Hehe. He does a lot of vlog projects and stuff, which, got me interested in the world of vlogging or blogging in general and as I said, that interest is most likely the reason why I took up blogging. That, and my friend Nico who spoke the inspiring words, "I don't really write about a universal thing, I just do whatever interests me." (Smile and wave to my currently non-existent readers, Nico!)

That actually isn't my point today. Or er, tonight. (It's past 2:30 AM right now, and it means that I have missed out on 11:11 again, but that's okay! I believe in miracles and I do not rely on the power of magic or wishes.) A while back, I subscribed to the CrayolaTV channel on YouTube. What can I say? I like being inspired, and seeing a bunch of art projects and pretty colors inspires me. Then I started getting suggestions for videos such as "How to color with Prismacolor colored pencils!" (Prismacolor products are actually brilliant...I envy two friends who have the markers. They don't bleed or fade and nor do the tips get dirty!) Basically, through watching these videos, I learned that you spread the colors around with this liquid called Gamsol, and I just found this fascinating. I watched a video by Jennifer McGuire (and she is by far my favorite  scrapbooker, just because I like the way she presents her things) and then I checked the rest of her channel and found that she was a professional scrapbooker.

I've never considered the fact that people actually get to color in images and create things with paper for a living! I mean, kids sitting at a craft table seems perfectly normal, but when you think of grown people coloring things and cutting things and pasting scraps of paper onto stuff, it's just something new and mind-blowing...well, at least for me, it is. I love how they get into so many techniques and products and there's always something new and different to try out. Anyway, scrapbooking is something that I'm actually considering getting into. I might adopt that as a new hobby. I cannot stress enough just how interesting I find it and I need a creative outlet right now besides writing. No one reads my poetry and stuff without me having to ask them to anyway (I am in dire need of comments; comments make me want to live! Mwahahaha!) *sigh* Unfortunately, I have no money to buy some of the amazing things I've seen. No really, I don't even know where to get card-stock...Some of the things I crave for production would be some really fancy stuff to create all these effects, but I don't have the resources for that...

I feel like all I've done so far in this post is just rant about how I don't have anything. It makes me sad that I can't pursue something I will actually enjoy. But thinking about it more reasonably, I don't exactly have the time or space to do any of this. I've got no storage, I'm on my way to school again within the next month, and that means I have to start my off-term assignments and finish my summer reading and all that stuff. I'm thinking that I'd just start with basic essentials. Maybe I'd just start with simple dye inks, some stamps, scissors, applicator tools and some different types of paper. But this hobby actually is very expensive, and I'm pretty sure the pros get free stuff for promoting the products, and I don't actually want to spend my entire life doing this. Maybe I should make it a long-term goal and something just to do whenever an event comes up like a friend's birthday, and that way I can have a reason for not giving them a present, because then I actually put time and effort into my own, personalized birthday card. (By the way, I think that the way I started this paragraph and the way it's ending is very ironic...)

My point is, it's something new, I'd love to try, because in my opinion, hobbies are just really fun stuff to learn about a person. You get to hear about the things people have done and made and be inspired by them, or get a small taste of new experiences and possibly learn things you've never learned before. It's exciting and I feel it just gives person dimension. I mean, more often than not, my friends tell me about a song they've just written, and I'm like, "I wish I knew how to do something interesting like that!" My friends all think travelling is interesting, and it is, but to make something new and tangible out of bits and pieces of things I think is what I most want to get into, because that's art, and it's like taking part in something that is all around us, you know? And to be able to just make something creative can possibly leave someone standing or sitting in awe with their gob hanging open. To just make someone think about something profound by presenting a masterpiece rather than just planting ideas in their head by speaking to them, is what I'm really interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment